Tuesday 12 March 2013

JAPAN LAND.





































 It was initially my intention to write a Haiku to compliment my Japan post, but after a massive weekend of moving followed by two 8-5 days at uni, combined with an overall lack of sleep (life of a uni student huh?), I don't currently have the mental capacity for such a task. So instead you get my Japan trip in non 5, 7, 5 form.

So welcome to Japan. Where you will find the most polite people in the world, but will not find Sushi.

After 2 weeks in Thailand, I was back in Australia for a mere 3 days before jet setting off again to the land of Japan. Upon arrival, a minibus drove us (my fiancé and his family) through the night to our lodge at Hakuba, where we spent the next 7 days enjoying (arguably) some the best snow in the world.

 Our trip was perfectly timed in the weather cycle to enjoy the massive powder dump and beautiful sunshiney days. This was my first time snowboarding, and its safe to say I'm addicted, though after being spoilt with such perfect conditions it'll be hard to be content with Australian "snow". The powder was so amazingly soft - it brought out the child in all of us. After clambering over a giant mound of snow, I was astounded to find a forest where I could barely contain my glee "I found Narnia!" I yelled to the others...There was plenty of frolicking to say the least. 

As for the mountains in Japan - they are probably the most picturesque thing I have ever laid my eyes on. So picturesque it was unbelievable to the point where I was honestly waiting for someone to pull a string and the whole facade to come falling down to reveal a wasteland. The pictures just can't even do it any justice.

It may sound strange but I had serious wardrobe envy on the slopes. I found myself constantly eyeing off the pretty, little, trendy Japanese girls seriously rocking their snowboarding gear. Clashing prints, baggy pants, and seemingly carefully thought out layers of oversize everything - flannel shirts, hoodies, beanies, bandanas and jackets. I so badly wanted to be like them...

For our last day in the mountains we went on a tour to see the snow monkeys in the onsens (hot springs). Such an strange interaction as they were so at ease in the presence of humans, however you were warned not to stare into their eyes or laugh at them (baring teeth and eye contact is seen as a threat). I practically had my camera glued to my face the whole time trying to avoid such an encounter. I'm not exaggerating when I say that they actually tried to catch you staring at them. From the snow monkeys we briefly visited an ancient town and a temple.

As the rain set in, we left the snow and headed for Shibuya in Tokyo. Such a crazy amount of people... and signs... and cuteness.  

Our 3 day stay in Shibuya consisted of shopping, Starbucks, more shopping, site seeing, and unintentional Irish pub crawl (couldn't find karaoke), some of the worst cocktails I have ever tasted, swan spotting and....more shopping. But alas no Tokyo drifting through one of the busiest crossings in the world. Maybe next time.

Not to self: do not break in new boots while on holidays - no matter how good they look.

さようなら
Sayōnara









1 comment:

  1. That monkey is such a crack up!
    Some really breathtaking scenery here. Those mountains...holy amazeballs.
    x

    ReplyDelete